Tina & Adrian’s Wedding

Posted Posted in Ramblin' On

Tina and Adrian invited us to celebrate their wedding which was held at the Wilpena Pound Resort on Saturday, November 23, 2013.

November 22

We left home at 8.30am for the 500 kilometre drive to Wilpena Pound. The drive was mostly uneventful and we had rest stops in Burra, Jamestown and Hawker. We finally arrived at 4.30pm.

Following a lot of “meeting and greeting” we all enjoyed a BBQ and a drink before turning in for the night.

November 23

We decided to take a drive through Wilpena Pound and keep out of the way of those preparing for the wedding. At 4.00pm Tina and Adrian exchanged their wedding vows.

The wedding was in a natural bush setting and the bride was radiant and the groom scrubbed up well, as did their children.

Following the nuptials, the reception was held in the resort’s restaurant.

November 24

We were up bright and early, leaving Wilpena Pound at 6.15am. A quick stop in Jamestown to fuel up on diesel and then non-stop back home, arriving home just on 1.00pm.

Photo Albums

Wedding Photos

Flinders Ranges Photos

Moorook Weekender (October 2007)

Posted Posted in Trips

After what seemed to be an eternity, we were finally able to hitch the caravan and have a weekend escape. However there were dramas before we left and whilst we were at Moorook.

Tow Rig Drama

At the end of August we upgraded our tow rig from a petrol driven Jackaroo (1994) to a diesel driven Jackaroo (1999). Having obtained a Vehicle Inspection Report which advised that the “vehicle appears to be in good condition for its age”, we proceeded to purchase the vehicle.

Since purchasing the vehicle we have spent in excess of $5,000 repairing the vehicle – obviously appearances can be deceiving! Repairs included replacing the alternator, replacing the turbo charger, replacing an oil pressure switch, replacing the fuel injectors, replacing the head gasket and numerous other relatively minor parts.

We received the call Thursday afternoon that the vehicle was ready to collect and drove to Adelaide to pick up the vehicle. Starting the vehicle was still very difficult and it was recommended not to drive back to Berri. The following morning we were advised that the vehicle was ready, to again be told when we had almost reached the dealership that there were more problems.

As we had planned our weekend escape we turned around and proceeded to drive back to Berri and use our Magna as the tow vehicle for our weekend escape.

Day 1 – Friday (26 October 2007)

Arriving back in Berri at approximately 2.00pm, we proceeded to hitch the caravan up. Whilst we had a towbar tongue it was not suitable for us to use the WDH and the anti-sway bar. We decided to continue as Moorook was only 30 kilometres away and we could travel at 60kph to limit sway.

We finally arrived at the Moorook Camping Area and paid our site fees ($10/day for a powered site) and set up the caravan and the annexe.

Day 2 – Saturday (27 October 2007)

Today was forecasted to be hot and windy with the temperature expected to reach 35 degrees. The forecasters were correct and throughout the day it became more and more windy. We walked around the Camping Area and generally relaxed throughout the day.

We invited some friends over and proceeded to have a BBQ. As we finished our BBQ the winds increased, dust was blowing in, and it just became to uncomfortable to sit outside. We packed and secured as much as we could and went to bed to ride out the storm. We were woken a number of times during the night by the wind and rain, but fortunately had no dramas.

Day 3 – Sunday (28 October 2007)

This morning was very calm after the storms from the night before and provided a good opportunity to take some photos before we packed up and returned home. We inspected the annexe and a it was dry we were able to pack it away. We left the Moorook Camping Area by 11.00am and arrived back home by 11.45am.

We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend escape and hope to experience more escapes in camping areas and national parks now that we are having a 100 amp hour battery fitted to the caravan.

Photo Album

These are some of the photos that we took over the weekend.

Mildura Weekender (Mar 2007)

Posted Posted in Trips

This long weekend (10 March – 12 March, 2007) we will again be going to Mildura. We will be staying at the River Road Caravan Park.

We will be visiting Wentworth and hope to visit most of the following attractions.

Historic Buildings

St John’s Church of England was erected in 1871 of stone and mud mortar with bricks around the edges. Owing to the fact that it was the first church to be built on the Darling, it has been classified by the National Trust. Next door to the Anglican Church is Wentworth State School, some of its buildings dating back to 1860. Also of historical interest in Darling St are the post office, the 1885 water tower (prefabricated in Scotland), the old customs officer’s house and Wentworth Courthouse (1879), a brick building with timber verandahs.

The old courthouse building, a slab cottage, is also extant. It is located in Fotherby Park, just over the Darling River Bridge. Also in the park is the dry-docked paddlesteamer Ruby, near the junction of the Darling River and Tuckers Creek. One of the last steamboats engaged in the passenger and cargo trade, it is currently being restored and will be moved to a position alongside the new wharf.

The statue in the park is a monument to a local legend. The inscription reads: ‘David James Jones 1901-1982. A will o’ the wisp nomadic recluse who lived for 54 years in the bushland downstream of Wentworth’. Jones was known as ‘The Possum’ because he often slept in trees. Nearby are the remnants of the old Wentworth Bridge and bits and pieces of old agricultural equipment. Also in the park is a bunya pine, the seeds of which were much sought after by the Australian Aborigines.

Aboriginal Canoe

If you cross the bridge to the southern side of Tuckers Creek and take the road to the hospital on your immediate right you can park your car and walk across to the northern bank of the Murray where there is a canoe tree – one in which a section of bark has been removed for the construction of an Aboriginal canoe. If you walk westwards along the narrow stretch of land between the two rivers towards the river junction there is a walking path through a wildlife reserve.

Wentworth Gaol

The old Wentworth Gaol is considered the best example of a small Victorian gaol in NSW. It was built from 1879-1891 of a million locally-made bricks with bluestone trim from Victoria and slate brought from Wales as ship’s ballast. It was a small but notoriously harsh prison for more serious offenders with 10 male and 2 female cells, massive 45-cm thick walls, lookout towers, a stretching rack, a whipping stool, stocks, and shackles set into a boulder in the unshaded centre of the courtyard. The gaol closed down in 1929. Today it houses the Morrison collection of antique bottles, gemstones, minerals and Australiana and a statue of Harry Nanya, his partner and their child. Harry Nanya, who died around 1880, was one of the last full-blooded, free-roaming Aborigines of the local tribe. The prison is open every day from 10-5 in Beverley St, near the intersection with Francis St, tel: (03) 5027 3337.

Wentworth Museum

On the other side of Beverley St is the Museum. Open from 10.00am – 5.00pm daily it has 3000 items including fossil remnants found at Perry Sandhills of extinct Australian megafauna, including the diprotodon (a sort of giant wombat) and a giant kangaroo. There are also replicas of some of these animals situated in a diorama. The museum also has an unusual redgum tree trunk. When it was cut down in 1971 it was found that the tree had grown around and entirely engulfed another tree stump which had been felled with an axe. The inner tree has been dated at 200 years. There is also an enormous mural, several pieces of locally-found space junk from satellites dating back to the 1960s and some interesting and antiquated machinery, including an example of the world’s first outboard motor.

Monument to a Tractor

There is a monument to the Ferguson tractor at the corner of Adelaide and Adams Sts. This is probably the only monument to a tractor in Australia. It commemorates the saving of the town in 1956. During that year the floods rose to a point where the entire town was threatened. The locals, with the help of about 35 Ferguson tractors, worked day and night for months to build levee banks. It is widely accepted that these levee banks saved the town.

War Memorial

The town hall wall in Adelaide St has an unusual war memorial – a wooden roll of honour made by a German internee during World War II. It is fashioned into a book with leaves that turn and a wooden bookmark.

St Ignatius High School

St Ignatius High School, restored by the National Trust, is situated on the northern bank of the Murray at the corner of Short and Cadell Sts. Opened in 1911 it was run by the Sisters of Mercy until it became a kindergarten in 1925. Further west along Cadell St is a nunnery built by Wentworth’s first mayor, William Gunn, in 1892.

William Gunn also built what is the oldest-surviving private residence in the district, Rendelsham House, which dates back to 1868. Located on the corner of the Silver City Highway and Adams St it is now privately owned and, so, can only be viewed from outside.

Junction of the Darling and Murray Rivers

Those wishing to have a good look at the river junction can access a viewing tower at Junction Park. Turn left off Cadell St as you head west and turn into Alice St, following it to the riverbank. It was here that former prime minister Bob Hawke launched his Environmental Statement Policy by planting ten red gums as part of his billion-tree program – a major replanting effort intended to replace the millions that had been cut down since European arrival.

Lock Number 10 and Weir

To see Lock Number 10 and Weir (built in 1929) go all the way to the end of Cadell St where there is also a boat ramp. Opposite is the cemetery. The river system is ideal for power boating, fishing, rowing, waterskiing and houseboats (available for hire locally ).

You can take a first-hand look at the features of the river system by taking a two-hour cruise on the MV Loyalty, built at Goolwa in 1914. It is the oldest propellor-driven riverboat operating in Australia today, The Loyalty was used as a milk boat until it became a passenger vehicle in the 1950s, tel: (03) 5027 3330 or 019-331192. It departs at 1.45 every day bar Saturday from the rear of the Wentworth Services Club car park off Darling St.

Dareton

If you cross the bridge over Tuckers Creek and follow the Silver City Highway east for 12 km you will come to the small township of Dareton. It is well worth stopping to have a look at Tulklana Kumbi Aboriginal Galleries at 33 Neilpo St, where there is a guided tour of the premises, tel: (03) 5027 4691.

About 6 km east of Dareton along the Silver City Highway, to your left, is the Stanley Wine Company, open for inspections and wine tastings every day until 4 pm, tel: (03) 5023 4341.

Orange World and Australian Inland Botanical Gardens

Almost directly opposite is Orange World where you can take a tractor train tour through their orange, mandarin, grapefruit, lemon and avocado orchards. It then returns to their packing centre and nursery where there is an informative talk about how to grow citrus at home, how to test fruit in the shops and a look at their own processing procedures. The tour takes about an hour and operates twice daily every day but Saturday. For further information phone (03) 5023 5197.

Orange World is situated on the corner of the highway and River Rd. Turn into the latter and it will lead you to the Australian Inland Botanical Gardens (well signposted), open from 10-4 every day except Saturday. Return to the highway and follow it to the small township of Buronga. From here head east along the Sturt Highway.

Gol Gol

A few kilometres will bring you to Gol Gol. There is a walking track on the right that follows the river to Drings Hill where there is an ancient Aboriginal midden. You can also take a tour of the yabbie farm at Gol Gol Fisheries (Carramar Drive, tel: 03-5024 8613). There is a hatchery, yabbie fishing in season, yabbie races, cooked yabbies, free train rides, refreshments and barbeque facilities. Another 6 km along the highway (towards Euston and Robinvale) is Trentham Estate Winery and Restaurant at Trentham Cliffs, tel: (03) 5024 8888

Photo Album

Burra Weekender (Nov 2006)

Posted Posted in Trips

We decided that our next trip would be to the South Australian Heritage town of Burra, situated 154 kilometres north of Adelaide, and 186 kilometres west of our home town. We departed on Thursday, 16 November 2006 and returned Sunday, 19 November 2006. This is our travel diary of the trip.

Day 1: 16 Nov 2006

When we were planning this weekend our main concerns were that the weather may be too hot. How wrong we were, this week saw one of the coldest November snaps in 20 years. Wednesday’s maximum temperature was only 15 degrees. There has also been some wild weather all around the east coast of Australia, fortunately we were spared anything serious.

After finishing work yesterday we went through our checklists to ensure that we were prepared for the trip. Diane bought a new microwave from BIG W which was on special for $68. I can’t believe that when we bought our first microwave 20 years ago we paid $300 – using the calculator on the Measuring Worth website I’ve calculated our first microwave would cost $500 on today’s value, or $40 in 1988!

Waking up this morning the weather was perfect – clear skies with little or no wind. Ideal conditions for travelling. The Jackaroo had been filled with fuel, the caravan was hitched to the Jackaroo and we departed Berri around 10.50am, on to Monash and then we turned off the Sturt Highway a few kilometres down the road to go to Morgan, and then on to Burra.

We travelled at a leisurely 80kph and arrived in Burra shortly after 1.30pm. Between Berri and Morgan whilst we were travelling beside the river, the vines appeared well looked after and there were little signs that we were in the middle of a severe drought. However, once we turned off onto the road to Burra, it was very evident that there was a drought.

Not one dam had any water in it, there were no crops in the paddocks and the whole landscape appeared very bare and barren, as if we were in a dessert area. The earth had a very dusty, dry, red appearance.

We booked into the Burra Caravan Park and set up the caravan. Prior to leaving Berri we purchased 4 metres of sullage hose having been advised that this would be sufficient for our needs. Upon being allocated our site in the caravan park, the sullage connection point was on the opposite side of the side of the caravan and our hose was a metre or so short. Off we went to the local hardware store to purchase an additional 10 metre length of sullage hose.

The remainder of the day was spent walking around the main street and purchasing the Burra Heritage Pass. Our friends, Jim and Raelene will be joining us tomorrow evening for the remainder of the weekend.

Day 2: 17 Nov 2006

We awoke around 6.30am. Whilst the morning air had a little chill in it, by around 10.00am it had warmed up and we had another perfect day for sight seeing. Today was spent exploring the Clare Valley.

We travelled the short distance (42kms) from Burra to Clare in just under 30 minutes and arrived in Clare at approximately 9.30am. This was the first time I had been to Clare since my parents took me when I was 11 or 12 to camp at Clare over Easter in 1970 or 1971. My only recollections of that camping trip is going up and down a few steep hills to a lookout (which I now know to be Neagles Rock Look Out) and camping by the creek in the Clare Caravan Park.

Visit the web site for more information on the region.

As we arrived in Clare via the northern entrance to the town, we had difficulty in finding the Tourist Information office. We asked at the Council Chambers to be informed that the office is located about 3 kilometres out of town on the southern side, adjacent to the Caravan Park. The Visitor Centre is magnificently presented and information was readily available. Once there we stocked up on tourist information and proceeded to Spring Gully look out in the Spring Gully Conservation Park.

From Spring Gully we drove to Martindale Hall, via Mintaro. Martindale Hall was the location for filming the school scenes for the film Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) which was directed by Peter Weir. We then drove back to Burra and visited Thorogoods, makers of Apple Wines and Ciders. We samples a few of the products and purchased a bottle of Scrumpy Sweet Cider. We then returned to our caravan for lunch.

Following lunch we decided to visit Burra Gorge. This is a beautiful spot to camp at provided you are self sufficient. We then returned to Burra around 4.00pm and walked around the main street of Burra. Tea was prepared around 6.00pm and was served when our friends, Jim & Raelene arrived around 7.30pm. After tea we had a few drinks and turned in around 10.00pm.

Day 3: 18 Nov 2006

The weather today was a lot warmer than yesterday. With our friends (Jim & Raelene) we commenced the Burra Heritage Trail around 9.00am and visited a number of the sites.

These sites included Redruth Goal. This goal was used for the location for filming some of the scenes for the film Breaker Morant (1980) which starred Edward Woodward, Jack Thompson and Bryan Brown.

Another site was along the Burra Creek where miners lived in dugouts along the creek bed. We also visited the mine site where a number of the buildings (in ruins) still exist and are a stark reminder of bygone days. By 11.30am the weather was too hot to continue walking around the sites.

We decided to return to Clare for some further sight seeing. A few kilometres out of town on the road to Blyth is Brooks Lookout which we turned into to view and appreciate the vast landscape before us. We then returned to Burra and visited the photo display presented by the Burra History Group in the Town Hall. The Burra History Group have an excellent collection of photos and memorabilia from the early days through to more recent times of the history of Burra.

After completing our visit of the Town Hall we booked in for dinner at the Commercial Hotel. The dinner was excellent and the serves were more than ample. Meals ranged in price from $14 to $20.

We returned to the caravan park around 7.30pm and set up table and chairs outside for a drink or two. We were joined by our neighbours, Bain and Joan who were from Devenport (Tasmania) who were travelling in a Ford Econovan Campervan. Shortly after, Ron & Flo and Roy & Barbara who were both from Adelaide joined us and we had our own informal “happy hour” talking about our travels.

Ron & Flo have a permanent booking at Lake Bonney Caravan Park in Barmera every Easter and we hope to catch up with them again next Easter. We all decided to turn in around 10.30pm.

Day 4: 19 Nov 2006

Knowing how quickly the weather warmed up yesterday, we decided on an early start this morning to complete the Burra Heritage Trail. The sites we visited this morning were the Police Station Stables, the Court House, the Burra Railway Station and the Unicorn Brewery site.

We continued to be amazed at just how hard life must have been all those years ago. By 11.30am we had visited all the remaining sites of interest and we returned the key at the Visitor Information Centre. We ate a quick lunch and hitched the caravan in readiness for our trip home. We left Burra at 12.30pm and arrived home just before 3.00pm.

We thoroughly enjoyed our weekender to Burra and would recommend to anyone a short stay in Burra to undertake the Burra Heritage Trail is well worth doing.

Accommodation

We stayed at the Burra Caravan Park. The caravan park is situated along the creek bed with all sites requiring you to reverse into. The sites are clean and level with a gravel surface. There are no lawned sites. The southern end of the park has no fencing and therefore anyone can access the caravan park. On Saturday night there was an incident with our neighbour whereby someone threw a shoe at their caravan around 1.00am. Each time we left the caravan park we had to secure all items inside the van – this was a nuisance. A key was also needed to enter the amenities block. There are 28 powered sites and the site fee for a powered site was $17/night.

Fuel Consumption

The total distance we travelled over the weekend was 764 kilometres and we consumed 134.49 litres of unleaded fuel. Of the total distance travelled, 373 kilometres (48.82%) was with the caravan on tow and 391 kilometres (51.18%) without the caravan.

Overall consumption was therefore 17.60 litres/100kms. Total fuel costs were $150.90 with the average price per litre 112.3 cents. Our average speed whilst towing was 80 – 85 km/hr.

Information

Burra Visitor Centre Website – The website for the Burra Visitor Centre. The visitor centre is located at 2 Market Square, BURRA.

The History of Burra – The History of Burra compiled by the Burra History Group.

Clare Valley – State Government Tourist Bureau web site for the Clare Valley.

Thorogoods – Makers of Apple Wines and Ciders.

Photo Album