After months of procrastination we finally settled on a Garmin nüvi 310 Satelite Navigation system, which we will use on our travels. We narrowed down our choice between the nüvi™ and a Uniden sat nav. The text to speech voice guidance feature made us decide that the nüvi™ sat nav was a better unit.
Navigator, Translator, Entertainer, Tour Guide, Garmin’s nüvi™ 310 is one versatile little GPS.
Configured exclusively for Australia, this pocket-sized Personal Travel Assistant now comes with hands-free Bluetooth® wireless technology and Text to Speech voice guidance in addition to the popular features offered in the nüvi 300 — making it the go-anywhere travel companion.
The nüvi 310 also features the very latest super-sensitive SiRF Star III chipset and high brightness TFT display and comes complete with a vehicle suction-cup mount and 12-24 Volt cigarette lighter adaptor for immediate operation right out of the box. A USB interface cable allows connection to a PC for transferring favourite locations, MP3s, JPEG photos and Custom POIs (see further details below).
Navigate with Ease
The nüvi 310 comes preprogrammed with Australian City Navigator map data, and includes automatic routing, 2D or 3D map perspective, and a fingertip touch screen interface — making navigation easy. Approximately 170 MB of additional internal memory is available for storage of supplemental maps, MP3’s and audio books. Additional maps, MP3’s, JPEGs and audio books can be loaded to a removeable SD memory card (available separately).
Text to Speech
In addition to the turn-by-turn voice prompted navigation available in other StreetPilot models, the nüvi 310’s text-to-speech functionality allows the unit to audibly announce the name of upcoming streets, Favourites and points of interest (POIs), letting drivers keep their eyes on the road while navigating through busy traffic.
Two user selectable Australian voices are included — Karen (female) and Lee (male).
Place hands-free calls with Bluetooth wireless technology
The nüvi 310 integrates wireless technology with a microphone and speaker that lets you make hands-free mobile phone calls. Simply dial numbers with the nüvi’s touch screen keypad or your phones voice dialling feature to make a call on a compatible Bluetooth phone. To answer calls, just tap nüvi’s screen and speak directly into its built in microphone.
In addition, easily look-up and dial numbers from your personalized phone book or from your phone’s call history log. Don’t know the phone number for your destination? Simply find and dial it from nüvi’s extensive points of interest database — including hotels, restaurants, stores, and attractions.
Vehicle Icons and Custom POIs
The Nuvi 310 supports configurable vehicle icons — fun, customized car-shaped icons in a variety of colors that show your position on the map.
The nüvi also accepts customized points of interest (POIs) providing alerts for locations such as school zones and safety cameras using Garmin’s POI Loader.
Enjoy Travel Kit full of entertainment and useful tools
Navigation is just the beginning. The nüvi includes many “must have” entertainment and travel tools including MP3 player, audio book player, JPEG picture viewer, travel alarm, currency converters, and more. In addition, optional software packages such as the Language Guide™ and Travel Guides™ can be added for language and content support in various countries around the world.
Customize with Optional Software
Optional software available on plug-in SD cards, lets you instantly add new features to your nüvi — without connecting to your computer.
- Language Guide — contains five bilingual dictionaries and a multilingual word bank and phrase bank that support nine languages and dialects. Even get a spoken pronunciation of each word or phrase.
- Travel Guide — gives you helpful and thorough reviews and recommendations for restaurants, hotels, shopping, nightlife, sporting events and tourist attractions. Travel Guide for Europe currently available for purchase. Travel Guide for United States coming soon.
- Savers Guide™ — a “geo-coded” coupon book that notifies you of nearby discounts on restaurants, hotels, shopping, and more at thousands of participating Entertainment® businesses throughout North America.
- Pre-programmed mapping — taking a trip overseas? Get additional mapping for the USA, Europe and New Zealand on SD card. City Navigatior Australia also available for overseas visitors travelling to Australia. Simply purchase and plug in.
- Receiver: high-sensitivity WAAS-capable GPS receiver by SiRF
- Display: 7.1 cm W x 5.3 cm H (8.9 cm diag.), 320 x 240 pixels; bright, TFT display, 64K colours, with white backlight and touch screen
- Unit dimensions: 98.3 mm W x 73.9 mm H x 22.1 mm D
- Weight: 144.6 grams
- Battery: built-in lithium ion battery provides 4-8 hours of battery life depending on use
- Preloaded WhereIs™ maps for all of Australia
- Bluetooth® wireless technology for hands free mobile phone operation
- Text-to-Speech voice guidance with Australian voices audibly announce street names
- Fingertip touch-screen interface
- Look up addresses and points of interest
- Choose 2D or 3D map perspective
- Upload custom POIs, including alerts for speed zones and safety cameras
- Built in Travel Kit includes MP3 player with sample MPs, audio books, JPEG picture viewer, world clock, currency and measurement converters, calculator and more
- Add optional software such as Travel and Language Guides to personalize nüvi
- SD memory card expansion slot
- USB interface for loading data